Studio Technical Director
Lost Boys Interactive is Hiring! If you are looking for a fully remote home to bring your Tech Director skills, look no further. Bring your passion for creating awesome games, and we'll provide an amazing team for you to work with along with a great environment and exciting AAA projects to work on! We also offer a full suite of benefits!
Lost Boys Interactive is a rapidly growing AAA game studio with full remote work available from any state in the US providing top-tier development for our partners as well as working on our own AAA game projects.
Supportive, Collaborative, Safe, Accepting, Respectful, Kind, and Fun are a few words that our employees use to describe their experience at Lost Boys Interactive. Do these words describe the kind of studio you would like to call home? Apply today to start your Lost Boys adventure!
Please note: You must reside in the US and have prior AAA experience to qualify for this role. We are sorry, but Lost Boys Interactive is not able to sponsor visas at this time.
The Studio Technical Director is responsible for the Engineering department of the studio. The Studio Technical Director will work with their counterparts in Art, Design and Production to establish communication and coordination among the disciplines and across the studio.
The Studio Technical Director's primary responsibilities focus on the culture and best practices of the Technical Department. In many cases, these practices will result in processes that affect internal operations of the department, but will also influence and be influenced by company policies and those of other departments.
The Studio Technical Director will be required to oversee project level Technical Directors to monitor their skills and progress. The Studio Technical Director may be required to mentor project Technical Directors to ensure the position's growth and health.
The Studio Technical Director will often be a member of the initial planning and estimation team when taking on a new project for the studio. As such they will be charged with assisting in scoping and staffing teams that begin these projects. This will require cross discipline communication with Art, Design, Production, and the client or owning group.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Holds regular 1 on 1’s with Technical Directors on varying projects
- Holds occasional skip level 1 on 1’s to assist in evaluating skills, fit and team health.
- Participates in project scoping and staffing
- Identifies the team's technical needs, and interviews candidates to fill the need in association with the Technical Director once assigned.
- Assists in coaching, reviews and performance issues of Technical Directors
- Escalates issues, and recommends solutions to the CTO
- Designs and Enforces Lost Boys Interactive best practice specific behaviors such as code reviews, compliance with coding standards and testing.
- Aligns management structure across projects to ensure project and studio success
- Member of the team that makes initial client contact and helps maintain client relationships
Cross Department Assistance
- Advises and assists in creating and scoping project and studio policies
- Assists Technical Directors with staffing and problem solving as issues arise
- Leads technical meetings to establish methods to share knowledge and tools across projects
- Responsible for the production and maintenance of studio best practices
- Responsible for oversight of large Architectural decisions being made at the project level (Architectural Review)
- Assists the CTO in deciding and directing studio level technical research
- Protects Lost Boys Interactive by keeping information confidential.
- Installs and configures a working environment following documented procedures where applicable.
The above statements are intended only to describe the general nature of the job, and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of position responsibilities.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- A passion for developing next gen games!
- 10+ years previous work experience in a game programming or management role
- 5+ years previous work experience in a leadership role (proven mentor and lead)
- Proficiency in C++ and object-oriented programming
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience with game engines such as Unreal Engine 4/5, Radiant or Unity
- Experience with multi-threaded programming
- Experience with network (multiplayer) programming
- Ability to visualize 3D domains and solutions
- Good foundation of 3D math concepts and algorithms
- High interest in and motivation to learn new technologies, languages, engines, algorithms or platform technologies
- Ability to offer technical expertise, solution architecture guidance and mentoring (answering questions, offering advice, guidance) to developers on same or related projects.
- Ability to communicate well and work across departments in a professional manner
Lost Boys Interactive LLC is an equal opportunity employer.