Associate Technical Director
Lost Boys Interactive is Hiring! If you are looking for a fully remote home to bring your engineering and leadership skills, look no further. Bring your passion for creating awesome games, and we'll provide an amazing team for you to work with along with a great environment and exciting AAA projects to work on! We also offer a full suite of benefits!
Lost Boys Interactive is a member of the Gearbox Software and Embracer Group family. We are a rapidly growing AAA game studio based in Madison Wisconsin, with full remote work available from any state in the US. We provide top-tier development for our partners as well as working on our own AAA game projects. We have world-class projects, resources, and infrastructure, but our company’s success comes from the talented and passionate people who work together each day to produce great games together.
Supportive, Collaborative, Safe, Accepting, Respectful, Kind, and Fun are a few words that our employees use to describe their experience at Lost Boys Interactive. Do these words describe the kind of studio you would like to call home? Apply today to start your Lost Boys adventure!
Please note: You must reside in the US and have prior AAA experience to qualify for this role. We are sorry, but Lost Boys Interactive is not able to sponsor visas at this time.
An Associate Technical Director will assist the Technical Director and lead in the translation from game design to technical design. The associate technical director will be responsible for assisting the scoping, planning and tasking of the technical implementation of the project. The associate technical director will be communicating with designers, artists, producers and other programmers in this role. In addition, the associate technical director will be communicating with the Executive Producer and directors of Art, Technology and Design. It is expected that the Associate Technical Director will manage a small portion of the technical team and share in architectural and research decision making. The Associate Technical Director will be mentored and tasked by the Technical Director and Director of Technology, with the expectations of gaining the experience and knowledge required to reach Technical Director.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Holds regular 1 on 1’s with engineers on the project
- Participates in team composition
- With the Technical Director, identifies the team’s technical needs, and interviews candidates to fill the need
- Assists in coaching, reviews and performance issues of hired engineers
- Escalates issues, and recommends solutions to the Technical Director
- Enforces Lost Boys Interactive best practice specific behaviors such as code reviews, compliance with coding standards and testing.
- Aligns team structure to facilitate mentoring and training of junior engineers
- Advises and assists in creating, scoping and maintaining portions of the project roadmap
- Advises and assists in creating the technical backlog
- Reviews the backlog with the Producer and other discipline directors to ensure alignment
- Assists engineers to ensure tasks are estimated and implemented
- Participates in feature design and implementation discussions with team members
- Leads technical discussions and ensures the team is knowledgeable in the technical aspects of a feature
- Responsible for the production and maintenance of the Technical Design Document
- Responsible for final Architecture and communicating it to other team members
- Oversees production of Tech Briefs and Tech Designs when required
- Directs project specific technical research
- Responsible for technical decisions in accordance with production needs
- Protects Lost Boys Interactive by keeping information confidential.
- Installs and configures a working environment following documented procedures where applicable.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- A passion for developing next gen games!
- 5+ years previous work experience in a game programming role
- 2+ years previous work experience in a leadership role (proven mentor and lead)
- Proficiency in C++ and object-oriented programming
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience with game engines such as Unreal Engine 4, Radiant or Unity
- Experience with multi-threaded programming
- Experience with network (multiplayer) programming
- Ability to visualize 3D domains and solutions
- Good foundation of 3D math concepts and algorithms
- High interest in and motivation to learn new technologies, languages, engines, algorithms or platform technologies
- Ability to offer technical expertise, solution architecture guidance and mentoring (answering questions, offering advice, guidance) to developers on same or related projects.
- Ability to communicate well and work across departments in a professional manner
You’ll be delighted with our people, our culture, and the amazing games you’ll be working on. Come join our merry band. Apply today and become part of the Lost Boys adventure!
Lost Boys Interactive LLC is an equal opportunity employer.